The community has become the home to many commuters who work in nearby cities, however it still maintains a significant agricultural presence with livestock, field crops, and a local chapter of the 4H club. It also offers an uncrowded and open landscape for outdoor enthusiasts and adventurers of all kinds, and retains much of the charm and serenity of its natural rural character. The area is known for its clean air, blue skies and four season climate. Residents enjoy the community's easy lifestyle and freedom from traffic jams, smog and crouds.
Being a rural community, municipal services are minimal with many emergency services coming from nearby Lancaster. The community supports two small gorcery stores, a church, a feed/hardware store and a volunteer fire station.
The topography is essentially flat desert scrub land. The Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve lies to the west of Antelope Acres.
Recently, Antelope Acres has seen an influx of utility scale renewable energy projects, which is quickly changing the face of the rural desert landscape.
History of the Antelope Valley
The Antelope Valley is a 3,000-square-mile high desert closed basin that straddles northern Los Angeles County and southern Kern County. One of nine California valleys with the same name, this one lies in the western Mojave high desert and includes the communities of Lancaster, Palmdale, Rosamond and Mojave. Populated by different cultures for an estimated 11,000 years, the Antelope Valley was a trade route for Native Americans traveling from Arizona and New Mexico to California's coast. Though the first wave of non-native exploration took place in the early 1770s, a later exploratory period starting in the 1840s led to the valley's first permanent settlement during the following decade, fueled by California's Gold Rush and new status as American territory. The 1854 establishment of the Fort Tejon military post near Castac Lake and Grapevine Canyon created a gateway for valley traffic.
The purpose of the Town Council shall be to engage in such activities as may promote the common good of the community of Antelope Acres. It shall provide for the preservation of the community's values, lifestyles, and rural environment. The town council shall provide a frequent forum or another means of gathering community views, wishes and concerns on issues before or to be brought before the Town Council, and to present community concerns to appropriate agencies. The Town Council shall review public and private proposals which may affect the community, and be apolitical, neither supporting nor opposing any political party or candidate. The Town council will engage in charitable, educational and scientific activities including for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501c3 of the Internal revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future Federal Tax Code.
Several developments were integral to the valley's growth starting in the mid-1800s, including gold mining in the Kerns and Owens rivers; cattle ranching; the start of a Butterfield stagecoach route in 1858; construction of the Los Angeles-to-San Francisco telegraph line in 1860; completion of the Southern Pacific Railroad line in 1876; and ample rainfall during the 1880s and early 1890s, which attracted many farmers. The decade-long drought that began in 1894-the worst in southern California's recorded history-decimated the regional economy and forced many settlers to abandon their homesteads, but after the turn of the twentieth century irrigation methods and electricity brought back local farming. The 1913 completion of the aqueduct spanning 233 miles between the Owens Valley and Los Angeles also revived the valley's economy. Today the Antelope Valley retains elements of its agricultural past but its economic base is now supported by aerospace and defense.
Antelope Acres is an unincorporated community in Los Angeles County, California. It lies at an elevation of 2425 feet (739 m). Antelope Acres is located in the Antelope Valley, the high desert area of northern Los Angeles County and is located approximately 13 miles from Downtown Lancaster, California and 64 miles from Downtown Los Angeles. The community has a population of about 2,800. It is a rural community centered south of California State Highway 138 (Avenue D) near 90th Street West.